Saturday, June 8, 2013

G.I JOE Retaliation Movie Review


Official Synopsis: G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a 2013 American science fiction action film directed by Jon M. Chu, based on Hasbro's G.I. Joe toy, comic and media franchises. It is a sequel to 2009's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.


    G.I JOE Retaliation did not have very many ties to the previous film G.I  JOE: The Rise Of Cobra which was released  back in 2009. It was a feel good movie with some comedic scenes and great action sequences however it lacked heavily.  The film does make an attempt to bridge the two together but in doing so it takes away time that could have been used to develop the characters more. The first thing that hurt the film was killing off the main character, Duke played by Channing  Tatum in the first 15 minutes. Much of the dialogue in the film feels boring and forced while at other times we find it to be witty and  free flowing.  Out of the many action sequences in the movie I would have to say that the highlight for me was a mission that felt almost detached from the main plot. The scene involves a cliffside assault and a pile of ninjas all doing battle suspended from climbing gear.  This particular scene felt very reminiscent of the Saturday morning cartoon that we all grew up watching.


If you missed the film in theaters you can check out the home release info here: