The 2012 U.S. Women’s Olympic Team from the London Summer Games, which brought home two medals, is expected to be the media darlings of the 2016 Olympic Summer Games in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Competing in the Memphis Olympic Trials are 2012 Gold Medalist Claressa Shields from Flint, MI, and Bronze Medalist Marlen Esparza from Houston, TX. The memories of watching all these athletes fight for their hopes and dreams of Olympic Glory are sure to stay with every fan for a lifetime.
Prize Fight and The City of Memphis/Tunica have worked together as a team now for almost 20 years, bringing the record setting biggest Heavyweight Championship Fight in history to town with the 2002 Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson fight, the 2003 Mike Tyson vs. Clifford Ettienne fight, opened up the FedEx Forum September 25th with the HBO Roy Jones, Jr. vs. Glen Johnson bout, followed up by seven more world class boxing cards at the Forum. Prize Fight.
Follow Our Continuing Coverage of the Trials Here:
- Tickets went on sale Friday, August 14 at 10am. $15/$25 via Ticketmaster.
- Men’s event will be held daily October 26-31 with the Women’s Olympic Trials nightly at 7pm.
- The finals will be held October 31st at 7pm at the Cannon Center.
- City Gear is the title sponsor of the trials. Mike Longo, CEO spoke about City Gear’s involvement in community and sporting events.
- St. Jude is the benefiting organization of the Olympic Trials. Rich Peterson, Executive Director - Fundraising Programs at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, spoke about St. Jude’s mission and how it will benefit from the trials.
- Steven Cohen was name Honorary Captain of the U.S Olympic Boxing Trials. He spoke about fighters fighting for the fighters at St. Jude.
-Ginny Fuchs, 2015 Golden Gloves Champion attended and spoke of her excitement to compete in Memphis in October.
Representatives from the Memphis Convention & Visitors Bureau, Prize Fight Boxing as well as Congressman Steve.
Cohen and 2015 Golden Gloves Champion Ginny Fuchs will be on hand to announce ticket sales and sponsors for the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Women’s Boxing which will take place October 25-31 at the Memphis Cook Convention Center.
USA Boxing, as the national governing body for Olympic-style boxing, is the United States’ member organization of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).Interview: 2015 Golden Gloves Champion Virginia Fuchs
Interview: Mike Longo: CEO City Gear Apparel & Footwear