Thursday, July 7, 2016

#AltonSterling’s Family Calls For Justice

This video is not easy to watch. In it, the family of Alton Sterling stands before the media, just hours after he was shot by police while he appeared to be pinned to the ground following a confrontation in front of a convenience store.

A video of the shooting sparked protests and outrage over night. As Sterling son weeps in the background, the teen's mother, Quinyetta McMillan, fought back tears, demanding justice:

"As a mother, I have now been forced to raise a son who is going to remember what happened to his father. That I can’t take away from him. He is at an age of understanding, I hurt more for him and his loss. As a parent, one of the greatest fears is to see your child hurt and know there’s nothing you can do about it.

What I saw last night from the citizens of Baton Rouge will forever warm my heart. We are a complete community of individuals who will carry this burden and also stand together that this event will not go unnoticed, especially for the future. I, for one, will not rest or not allow him to be swept in the dirt.

I for one will not rest ... until the adequate punishment is served to all parties involved."